Ten new Honorary Canons will be collated, admitted and installed as members of the College of Canons of York Minster, during a service of Choral Evensong on Saturday 16 September 2023 at 5.30pm. All are welcome.
The new Honorary Canons, whose appointments reflect their dedicated experience to the life of the diocese and the wider church, will first be collated by the Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell and will then be admitted and installed by the Dean of York, Dominic Barrington. The Installations will take place in the cathedral’s Nave.
Dominic said: “The College of Canons act as ambassadors for the cathedral’s mission, ministry and work. They will bring lively faith, rich and diverse expertise and life experiences, great wisdom and advice. They will also play a vital role as “critical friends” encouraging and supportive but also questioning and challenging in equal measure. We look forward to welcoming them into the life of the cathedral.”
These honorary appointments are in addition to any posts the Canons Elect currently hold. The Honorary Canons are listed below:
• The Revd Canon Susan Jane Binks – Canon and Prebendary of Bilton
• The Revd Canon Mark Jonathan Carey – Canon and Prebendary of Bole
• The Revd Canon Elizabeth Claire Hassall – Canon and Prebendary of Givendale
• The Revd Canon Dr Ian MacDonald McIntosh – Canon and Prebendary of Holme
• The Revd Canon Paul Harrison Peverell – Canon and Prebendary of Husthwaite
• The Revd Canon Dr Peniel Jesudason Rufus Rajkumar – Canon and Prebendary of Wetwang
• Lay Canon Dr Helen Rachel Lawrence – Canon and Prebendary of Salton
• Lay Canon Capt. Richard Michael Bernard Cooke CA – Canon and Prebendary of Wistow
• The Rt Revd Stephen Peter Race – Bishop of Beverley – to be Admitted and Installed (as a Bishop, Stephen is not collated) by the Dean as an ex officio member of the Minster’s College of Canons
• The Revd Canon Caroline Rosamund Pinchbeck – Canon and Prebendary of Langtoft (Caroline will not be present on 16 September. She will be collated by the Archbishop at Bishopthorpe Palace later in September. A date will be found for Admission and Installation at York Minster).
The legal formalities of swearing the prescribed Declarations and Oaths will be administered before each service by the Deputy Registrar for the Diocese of York before the Archbishop in the Consistory Court or the Zouche Chapel.